Sunday, August 10, 2008
Eggplant Parmesan
On Saturday, I went to the Courthouse farmers' market and found an abundance of fresh summer vegetables. When Mallory arrived at the duplex, we wasted no time making our own "Produce Face."
The star of tonight's dinner quickly went from an imaginative interpretation of a nose to washed, peeled, and sliced. This is the first time I've made eggplant parm and what I liked about it is that the eggplant slices were baked, not fried.
In one bowl, beat one egg with a tablespoon of water. Put about 2 cups of breadcrumbs in another bowl, add salt, pepper, and dried Italian herbs (try parsley, basil, and oregano). Dredge each slice of eggplant in the egg, then breadcrumbs and place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes on each side.
In a casserole dish, layer tomato sauce, eggplant, then a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat. I made this in an 8x8 dish and had three layers of each. Bake in the 350-degree oven for 35 minutes. Delicious! With a little flax-seed penne and fresh basil, this is a winning dinner! I would save for the weekend though because it took one hour total - a bit longer than I typically have for cooking on a weeknight.

In one bowl, beat one egg with a tablespoon of water. Put about 2 cups of breadcrumbs in another bowl, add salt, pepper, and dried Italian herbs (try parsley, basil, and oregano). Dredge each slice of eggplant in the egg, then breadcrumbs and place slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes on each side.
In a casserole dish, layer tomato sauce, eggplant, then a combination of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat. I made this in an 8x8 dish and had three layers of each. Bake in the 350-degree oven for 35 minutes. Delicious! With a little flax-seed penne and fresh basil, this is a winning dinner! I would save for the weekend though because it took one hour total - a bit longer than I typically have for cooking on a weeknight.
Labels: Recipe
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
